Science Fair Season: Twelve Kids, a Robot Named Scorch . . . and What It Takes to Win

Science Fair Season: Twelve Kids, a Robot Named Scorch . . . and What It Takes to Win 




Grade A
Pages 288
Synopsis from Netgally website-

Odd. Incredible. Innovative. Not Just Another Baking Soda Volcano.
In the way that Word Freak exposed the hidden world of competitive Scrabble players, now Science Fair Season pulls back the curtain on the highly competitive and high-stakes world of high school science fairs.
Each year, the Intel International Science & Engineering Fair brings together over 1,500 of the most talented students from more than 50 countries, with over $4 million prizes and scholarships at stake. Their investigations and experiments are breathtaking and mind-boggling, from creating bionic prosthetics to conducting groundbreaking stem cell research, from training drug-sniffing cockroaches to taking on big corporations. Not just a competition, it has become a recruiting field, with representatives from elite universities and the world's top medical programs attending these fairs looking to spot young prodigies, and even to get a jump on what's being researched.
Judy Dutton follows twelve of these remarkable teenagers and tells gripping stories of their road to the big competition. Some will win, some will lose, but all of their lives are left changed forever. With not just fascinating stories of imaginative projects, but also of compelling and interesting kids, Science Fair Season is Spellbound for the Bunsen Burner Set.
JUDY DUTTON is a writer and editor living in Brooklyn, New York. Since graduating from Harvard with a degree in English and American Literature, she's contributed to CosmopolitanMaximGlamourRedbookWomen's Health, msn.com, and other magazines and websites. She is also the author of Secrets from the Sex Lab, an eye-opening look at the most groundbreaking scientific discoveries in the realm of sexual behavior.

My Review;
I loved this book, I'm so glad a read it. It isn't one I would normally pick up, I was never a science lover myself but these stories were amazing. There was a kid who was into radioactivity, a girl with Leprosy, a pretty actress who falls in love with science and more amazing stories of real kids who are really smart. The projects that the kids came up with were amazing, I never knew so much went into preparing for and competing in a science fair. I love the emphasis on help from teachers and parents and neighbors that encouraged and taught some of the kids in the story. I wish I would have had someone encourage me to be more involved in science. I always got above average scores on my SAT's but my classes in school were so dull, copying facts from the white board and reading chapter after chapter about rocks. I think if we would have been more hands on I would have LOVED it. I have three boys and this book reminded me about a book I have of fun science experiments for kids. I pulled it out and we have had a lot of fun doing some of the projects in the books. I hope like some of the other mothers in this book I can be an encouragement to my children and give them a love and an excitement of learning and trying new things.

No comments: